In 2015, I went to the cinema 14 times and saw a mixed bag of movies. I actually think that I missed out on some of the best ones (Inside Out, Carol, Brooklyn) and Star Wars will probably be on next year’s list.
In ascending order of greatness, the list starts off like this:
14. Inherent Vice (**)
13. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part Two (***)
12. Ant-Man (***)
11. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (***)
10. Mr. Holmes (***)
9. Ex Machina (***)
8. It Follows (****)
7.Avengers: Age of Ultron (****)
6. Ted 2 (****)
Which brings us to the top 5…
5. Sisters (****): With a different cast, this may have been just another average comedy film, but Tina Fey and Amy Poehler certainly manage to elevate it; it is clear that they love working together and I was certainly grinning broadly throughout.
4. Spectre (****): A tad two-dimensional perhaps, with a dud theme song and minor plot holes to boot, but still a very exciting, well made Bond adventure. Enough Monica Bellucci though!
3. The Martian (****): visually impressive, dramatic, exciting, funny; and all some sci-fi film with great performances, especially from Jessica Chastain, and a memorable use of ABBA’s “Waterloo”!
2. Selma (****): and uncompromising, honest, intelligent film with a terrific portrayal of Dr. King by David Oyelowo.
1. Birdman Or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance): Ambitious, mesmerising and exciting with loads of awesome performances, supercool visuals and a fresh look on themes of fame, family and media. The drum heavy soundtrack may give you a headache though!
So there you have it. Hope you enjoyed and I will see you later!